Suspension of parking bays
Suspensions of parking bays may be arranged for:
- House or office removals
- Funerals or weddings
- Essential work on the highway
- Essential deliveries (e.g. building materials)
- The placement of skips
- Special events
- Facilitating the movement of traffic or safety reasons
Suspensions can only be applied to parking bays, not lines.
Although many suspensions are arranged in advance, they may also need to be arranged at short notice, in the case of emergency works for example.
However, we ask for 5 days' notice of suspended bays to be given to other motorists for them to be enforceable.
Once a suspension has been authorised, warning signs will be put into place. The sign will state the dates between which the suspension will be in force, exact location of the suspension and purpose of the suspension.
Vehicles that park on the notified suspensions will be issued with a parking ticket (Penalty Charge Notice). This provision also applies to householders who have arranged a suspension for removals or work on the property, as the suspension does not permit the householder to park their vehicle there.
Charges for suspensions currently stand at £15 per day or £90 per week (as at 05/03/2009). Charges will be waived in the event of a wedding/funeral or for charitable organisations:
- Applicants will need to provide their name, address, telephone number, the location of the suspension, how many bays are required, the dates when the suspension is required and the reason for the suspension. All vehicle details will need to be provided for those parking in the suspension. All applications must be made to the Parking Shop.
- You may also require a highways licence to place materials, skips, scaffolding and other material on the highway. Please check on the West Sussex County Council's website - highways licences page.
Parking shop open from 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 4pm on Saturday
Adur & Worthing Councils,
52 Chapel Road,