Adur District residents: Benefits for Adur residents are administered by the CenSus Partnership, please refer to their New Claim information for eligibility details.
Worthing Borough residents: Benefits for Worthing residents are administered by Worthing Borough Council - please refer to the information below.
Am I eligible?
Generally, anyone who has to pay rent on the home where they live may be entitled to Housing Benefit providing the tenancy is on a commercial basis and is not contrived to take advantage of the Housing Benefit scheme. Housing Benefit is sometimes known as Rent Allowance.
In order to potentially be entitled to Housing Benefit:
- You should generally be the person who is liable to pay the rent for the property that you occupy as your home
- The accommodation should be a private, Housing Association or Council property
- Boarders, lodgers, sub-tenants and hostel dwellers can also apply
Below is a list of people who are not usually entitled to Housing Benefit:
- Owner occupiers (including people with mortgages)
- Most full-time students
- People whose housing costs are paid through Income Support or Job Seeker's Allowance
- People who live with and rent from close relatives
- Crown tenants
- Long leaseholders (21 years or longer)
- Certain persons from abroad
- People in residential care and nursing homes
Next : Benefits calculator
Generally, anyone who has to pay Council Tax for the property that they live in as their home can claim Council Tax Support for that property. You may also be able to reduce the amount of Council Tax that you have to pay by applying for a discount or an exemption.
Council Tax is normally paid by the person who is resident in the dwelling, but in certain circumstances non-resident owners are liable instead. Non-resident owners are not eligible for Council Tax Support.
Next: Benefits calculator
These benefits contact details are for Worthing residents only. Adur residents should use the CenSus Partnership's website for benefits information. To find out whether you are an Adur or Worthing resident, please set your location.
Adur & Worthing Councils,
PO Box 5000,
Worthing Town Hall,
These benefits contact details are for Adur residents only.
CenSus Revenues and Benefits Services,
PO Box 505,